Now 141 strong and counting…
DLIN: SearchCycle India 2013 goes into overtime – James will cycle all the way to Goa!
I’m back in the States now. James continues to ride (he’s much stronger than I am!) all the way to Goa. Please keep up with daily photos and posts, encourage him, support him, and cheer him on as he rides west from Varanasi into Rajasthan, then south through Mumbai and into Goa for a well deserved few days at the famous beach.
I could not have made the ride without James. His enduring patience, love, kindness, and endless support all along the way made the entire event possible. ‘Thank you’ doesn’t begin to cover my gratitude for all his efforts.
Here’s the link to the Facebook event page for SearchCycle India 2013. Keep your likes and comments coming, everyone!
Dozens of riders met at the Red Fort early on Jan 5 and rode out toward the Kashmiri Gate. We stopped for coffee and treats and continued on to the bridge leading to Meerut. In the evening in Meerut, we met wonderful entrepreneurs and enjoyed a well deserved dinner and a good sleep before James and I rode out in the morning mist to Gujraula and then on to Moradabad.
Since then, we’ve seen Bareilly, Shahjananpur, and Kannauj where we spent a brilliant day touring and visiting family and ancestral village with Puneet, innkeeper, potato farmer, potato cold storage magnate, and possibly the next mayor of his town. It seems one entrepreneurship isn’t enough.
In Kanpur, we’ve decided that the town gets a bad rap as just a business hub. We’ve met more wonderful entrepreneurs, and stayed at the Little Chef Hotel, an amazing boutique hotel in the quieter Civil Lines neighborhood. People went out of their way to help us get SIM cards and a new bike saddle sorted for me. The press even came out to see what we’re up to. Cycling through India isn’t just unusual… it’s pretty much unheard of. Maybe we’ll change that.
Stay tuned here and on facebook.
Follow @kapgup and @SEOmom for by-the-minute updates
James Muessig (Kent and James Private Travel) is planning SearchCycle India 2013. He’ll be riding the whole route with us and cycling for 45-60 more days, all the way to Goa. If you’ve got questions or advice to share about gear, routes, hotels, restaurants, sites, or logistics, connect with James by posting on the Event Page on Facebook.
I’ll cycle out from the Red Fort in Old Delhi on Jan 5, heading for Meerut. From there, I’ll continue through Jan 30, when I’ll return to Delhi for a few events. I leave for the US on Feb 3 at 3:40AM, so catch me on or before the 2nd if you want to meet up.
And now – drumroll, please – here is the aggressive itinerary James believes we can keep. James and I will be taking copious amounts of photos, uploading to here and to the event facebook page, keeping you posted of our progress along the way. We hope you’ll join us for meetups/tweetups in the evenings, so it’s important that you keep checking back here for updates. We may not cycle as far as we thought or we may get a little farther. And we may make changes in the route as you and other colleagues convince us to visit different places. Here’s the bottom line -
Do you want SearchCycle to come to your town? Take a look at where we are and make a convincing post/comment below. Talk us into coming your way.
See you on the trail!
DAY 1 of Search Cycle India 2013
January 5, 2013
Old Delhi to Meerut – 68km / 42 miles
- Red Fort (7:00 AM you Early Birds!)
- Chandi Chowk
- North on Netaji Shubash Road
- North on Lothian Road
- Kashmiri Gate. Pics in front of important site in first fight for Indian Independence, 1857
or what the British call the “Mutiny” (they still call the American War of Independence the “Rebellion”)
- North on Sham Nath Marg
- Indraprastha College.
Do we have any graduates riding with us? Shout out!
- North on Mahatma Ghandi Road
- North on Timarpur Marg
- North on Dr KB Hedgewar Marg
- Tomb of Shah Alam. Not overrun with tourists because it is in North Delhi. When you’re a tourist the last thing you want to see are other tourists.
- East on Wazirabad Bridge (oldest bridge in Delhi courtesy of Firoz Shah Tughlaq).
Maybe the new signature bridge will be open.
- East on Wazirabad Road
- East on Mangel Pandey Road (Road 59)
- North-East on Mandoli Road
- North-East on Sewa Dham Road to the end
- South-East on unnamed road to Tilla More Chowk
- East on Pipe Line Road
- South-East on Rawli Road
- North-East on Delhi Road (Road 58) to Meerut
- West on Baghpat Road
Search meetup with Gillian / @SEOmom, 6:00 PM
Baghpat Road Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. We’re waiting to hear if they have a bar) but just in case I will exercise caution and stop at the Khan Market in Delhi on January 4, 2013 and obtain cycling requisites, Bombay Sapphire Gin and Dry Vermouth. I recommend that you do the same. To paraphrase Napoleon, “A peloton rides on its liver.” James will bring my cocktail shaker set from New York.
Hotel for Day 1 -
- Signature Hotel
- Baghpat Road, Near T.P. Nagar,
- Meerut (U.P.) India-25002
- Ph.: +91-121-2514001/02/03
Get your rest because DAY 2 we will be exploring the Archaeological Site at Hastinapur and learning about Ratnatraya at Jain Temples as we ride to Moradabad, the City of Brass!
January 6, 2013
Meerut to Moradabad – 116km / 72 miles
- Meerut Railroad Station
- East on City Railway Station Road
- North on Delhi Road
- East on Mavana Road
- North-East on Mawana Bypass Road
- East on Mawana Road
- North-East on Ganeshpur-Hastinpur Road
- Hastinapur Archaeological Site
- Let’s look for what’s left of the palace of the Pandavas
- Extra points if you find the Kaurava’s place too.
- Across the Jain Temple Road we will find (you get three guesses)
- Then the day really begins. 11:00 AM
- It is time to separate the wheat from the chaff.
- South on the Madya Ganga Canal Road
- East on the Chandpur Mavana Road across the Ganges River
- South-East on Station Road
- East on Chandpur Gajraula Road
- South-East on Chandpur Pheena Marg
- Continue on Road 77 to Amroha
- East on Road 78
- East on Road 24 to Moradabad
- Best Western Holiday Regency Hotel
Technologists, Digital Marketers and Entrepreneurs Meet Up 8PM
It’s been a long day. Eat, Drink, and be Merry! Tomorrow is an easy day.
January 7, 2013
Sleep in. Or explore the Peetal Mandi for brass and copper.
Moradabad to Bareilly – 90km / 49 miles
- Jama Masjid
- East on the Jama Masjid Road Bridge
- South-East on Road 24 to Rampur
- South-East on Road 24 to Bareilly
- Manor Hotel, Bareilly
- 209 Civil Lines, Station Road, Bareilly, India 243001
January 8, 2013
Bareilly Railroad Station
Bareilly to Shahjahanpur – 79km / 49 miles
- East on St Chowdary Road
- North on Lal Fatek Road
- East on the Grand Trunk Road
- Rolling through the Uttar Pradesh countryside
- South-East on the Grand Trunk Road to State Highway 29
- North-East on State Highway 29 to Shahjahanpur
- A short jaunt. Plenty of time to look around
January 9, 2013
Shahjahanpur to Kannauj 122 km / 76 miles
- Shahjahanpur Railroad Station
- South on Station Road
- South on Ghantagar Road
- South on State Highway 93
- South on State Road 93/25 South
- South-West on State Highway 21
- Cross the Ganges River
- North West on State Road 21 to Kannauj - Welcome to the Capital of Perfume!
January 10, 2013
Kannauj Railroad Station
Kannauj to Kanpur – 84km / 52 miles
- South on State Road 21 alongside the Ganges to Kanpur
- Trip Advisor eviscerated the hotels in Kanpur but the
- Little Chef Hotel Kanpur shows promise.
- Number 1 tourist destination….Massacre Ghat.
- There has to be a story here.
- Big city. Must be places to buy fresh inner tubes and we will need some patches by then.
January 11, 2013
Kanpur to Raebareli – 109km / 68 miles
- Kanpur Railroad Station
- South-West on Jaipuria Road
- South on Kanpur Road
- South-East on Motilal Nehru Marg
- North-East on Vidhan Sabha Marg into Kanpur Road
- East on Shuklaganj Bypass
- South-East on Highway 38
- North on Lucknow Road to Raebareli
- One more day on the road then rest
January 12, 2013
Raebareli to Faizabad – 112km / 70 miles
- North-East on State Road 15 to Faizabad
January 13, 2013
Faizabad to Ayodhya and back
- Rest. Rama give us strength
- Check out the sights in nearby Ayodhya